Thursday, May 28, 2009

BOB on Conics

Heeey everybody, sorry to say that this will be short and sweet because I've got loads to do tonight unfortunately :<

On with my BOB!
Honestly, this unit sounded intimidating, but in the end, it really wasn't at all! After I got past getting the hang of the geometry, I actually started to enjoy it... (Except for sketching graphs, I always did despise doing that.) :]
So now that I pretty much get the jist of all the geometry involving parabolas, ellipses and hyperbolas, I think I'll do well in that aspect.
However...
Applying them to "realistic" situations won't be my cup of coffee (gonna have to load up on this tmrw huhu). I'm sure with a little more practice I'll have a full understanding of taking pieces of information and constructing the proper equation for it, but waugh! In due time...

What I found interesting was that when you take a line and "spin" it, you end up with two cones, and from there you can derive the parabola, ellipse, and hyperbola! I'd describe/post images of this, but Jessi's scribe post on Conics had very good ones already :].

Now, onto the guidelines which I shamefully hardly ever follow...
  • Get at least some sleep! Actually, sleep immediately after you study, you'll remember your stuff better!
  • Eat breakfast, brain food = awesome because you don't want to hear your stomach during the test and neither do we lol.
  • Take your time, don't rush!
  • Keep in mind the equations for vertical/horizontal parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas!
  • Look at these equations and see the geometry! Remember, "codes!"
  • a^2 + b^2 = c^2!
  • Be able to take very little given information and build upon them to end up with an equation that will help you out big time!
Anywhoots, I think that's enough brain juice spillage for me. Onto studying!
To everyone who's going on that Kenora trip tmrw... Bye. >_> Just kidding, have fun!
To everyone else, good luck on the test tmrw! :D
blog comments powered by Disqus