Thursday, May 28, 2009

BOB on Conics

This is Jonno doing my BOB on our Conics unit before the test.

So, this unit was mainly about circles, parabolas, ellipses and hyperbolas...
For each of the stated above, we learned that each of them comes from a line that is spinned in a circle, basically, forming two cones. Depending on how you slice it, you can get one of the shapes/graphs/etc, stated above. We also learned the equations for each of the stated above. After Mr. K's talk about the matrix and such, he said we should also be able to identify what it is and what it looks like just by looking at the "code" or equation. I tagged a delicious link that can help you with this a bit, so if you're interested here it is!

Basically:
Parabolas - only have one squared term (ex. x^2 + y = 1)
Circles - have 2 squared terms that have equal coefficients (ex. x^2 +y^2 = 1)
Ellipses - hav 2 squared terms whose coefficients are not equal (ex. 2x^2 +y^2 = 1)
Hyperbolas - (I'm not 100 percent sure because i wasn't here for class that day, but from what I've seen...) have two squared terms, one being positive and one being negative? (ex. x^2 - y^2 = 0).

Another thing we learned was to change equations to general form from standard form and vice-versa.

I'm pretty sure i covered most of what we learned. I know there's more stuff, like the pythagorean theorum and such being used in the ellipse and hyperbola graphs, but I don't think I currently have enough skills to explain it.

What i found hard (until today) was finding the asymptote lines of the hyperbolas, but Mr. K. cleared that up for me.

Well, that's all I'm going to put up for my BOB.
Good Luck on the test everyone!

Jonno- Out
blog comments powered by Disqus