Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Reflection on Transfomations

Here's my bob.

Well this unit overall made me dizzy. I kept mixing up the transformations -- I still do sometimes... :\ I haven't gotten the hang of Trigonometric Modelling so I'll go practice that. (As a matter of fact, I'm working on one as I type this up.) Remember, reciprocal functions are not the same as inverse functions! Hmmm, I thought the easiest part of the unit was graphing absolute values. Batman function! :D

Anyway, I'm glad this unit's just about over and done with because that was way too much graphing for me. XD Too bad I have feeling I'm not with graphing just yet, sigh.

A review of some sort:
  • In f(x) = Af(Bx-C) + D:
    A - stretches or compresses the y-coordinates.
    B - stretches or compresses the x-coordinates.
    C - shifts the graph left or right. (Watch the sign of C!)
    D - shifts the graph up or down.

  • f(x) --> -f(x) - y-coordinates are multiplied by (-1) causing a reflection in the a-axis.
  • f(x) --> f(-x) - x-coordinates are multiplied by (-1) causing a reflection in the y-axis.

  • Even functions: The function is symmetrical about the y-axis.
    f(x) = f(-x)


  • Odd functions: The function is symmetrical about the origin.
    f(-x) = -f(x)


  • Inverses: f-1(x) undoes whatever f(x) did. (x and y values pretty much just switch places)

  • Reciprocals: Find invariant points where y= -1 and 1 first!


  • Stretches before translations!
  • Stretches before translations!
  • Stretches before translations!


  • I hope I got those right. I don't really have much confidence in myself when it comes to math. XD If you spot anything, drop me a sweet little comment! You can always view past slides, scribes, or deliciously informative links if you need more on Transformations. Good luck to everyone on the test! But luck's only a small part of it so remember to study, study, study!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment